Friday, September 12, 2008

Hurricane Ike Part 1

So, since we are expecting hurricane Ike to pass through, we are trying to prepare as much as possible. Our zip code has not had a mandatory evacuation, so we are going to wait it out here. I don't think we really know what to expect from a hurricane being from the north parts. I assume it is like a really bad blizzard, but instead of snow covering our house it will be wind and water, and possibly debree. OK, it does sound worse than a blizzard. Some of our neighbors have boarded up their window, but for the mose part the rest are left as usual. The stores of course were crazy on Thursday, and again today. Very interesting to see, and also to see how many people have left things to the last minute. I think I prefer the blizzard. Maybe just because that is what I am use to.

Anyhow, I wanted to included some before and after pictures of the hurricane. The only before picture I really got was of Target all boarded up. I will try and include it later.

We are expecting to lose power for a couple of days, but hopefully that is the worse case for us. We will see. Luckily Philip was the ward emergency preparedness leader a while back. He finally got our family prepared with a 72 hour kit, and other food storage. Please don't wait until you receive this calling before you get yours.

I will give another update once the hurricane has passed. Until then, good luck to all in the storm's path.

2 comments:

Monique said...

I just got done watching the news about the hurricane. Looks like some significant damage was done. Lots of flooding and stuff... I hope you guys are doing ok and there's not too much damage to your place. Let us know how it went. Good luck!

nat & ben said...

We hope you guys have been able to stay safe. take care. let us know if we can do anything.