Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Huge Spuds

Growing up in Idaho eating potatoes almost daily it was never a special thing or a big surprise to see a massive potato. My mom worked at a potato warehouse when I was really little and she would bring home potatoes 2x the size of this potato. That was rare and special for me.
Here in Houston when I buy my potatoes they are usually 3 inches long is all like this itsy bitsy one shown on the right. I have never had any that are much larger than that. Also most of the time it is hard to find Idaho potatoes in the bag, however, I think I could by them individually. Most of them are grown here in Texas. One bag that I bought a few weeks ago happened to be a bag of Texas grown potatoes. To my surprise this huge potato was mixed in with little baby ones and a few descent sized baker potatoes. I could not believe my eyes. It was large enough to make a good amount of fried potatoes to feed my whole family.

Now, you may ask yourself why the random post about potatoes? Well, being from potato country I must like my potatoes. So, to all the Houstonians out there, there is hope that someday you too will get lucky and come across a large potato hiding under all the miniature ones.

5 comments:

Kaylene said...

Hahaha! I was born on a potato farm. In Idaho. Well actually I was born In Logan, but I lived in Idaho too. :)

Love the big potato. Too bad Kevin can't eat much of them, I know, bummer huh?

Monique said...

Funny! We were having baked potatoes the other night and it reminded me of this post. Our potatoes were pretty big, but not THAT big!

emily said...

"Famous Potatoes"--remember that license plate?! My kids weren't lucky enough to be born in Idaho like me, so they can't really get with any potatoes but french fries--crazies! I miss a great big baked potato.

Rebecca said...

You have the cutest family, Summer is so adorable and growing up so fast. Oh I miss you guys! When you get a chance ring me up.

Jeremy said...

Whoa...